19 Basic Stretches
These basic stretches are designed for the entire body. Do them slowly and gently with no bouncing. Never stretch to the point of pain. And remember to breathe!
4. ARMS, SHOULDERS, CHEST
5. TOP OF SHOULDERS, TRICEPS
• Kneeling position. Bend head to the left shoulder while left hand pulls right arm across back. Reverse. Hold for 30 secs.
• Arm overhead, hold elbow of one arm with hand of other arm.
• Gently push down on elbow, behind your head creating a stretch. Hold for 20 secs.
6. SHOULDERS AND UPPER BACK
7. FOREARM/WRIST STRETCH
• On all fours.
• Thumbs on outside, fingers pointed to knees.
• Palms flat as you lean back to stretch front of forearms.
• Hold 20 secs.
8. BACK AND BUTTOCKS
• In sitting position hold knees and pull to chest.
• Gently roll up and down spine on rug 10 times.
• Do not roll on hard surface.
9. FRONT HIP AND GROIN
• Kneeling position.
• Both hands on floor, move one leg forward until knee is directly over ankle. Other leg behind knee resting on floor.
• Lower front of hip downward to create easy stretch.
• Hold 15 secs.
• Lean back on buttocks and straighten outstretched leg. For more of a stretch, point toes back and lean slightly forward. Hold 20 secs.
11. LOWER BACK/TOP SIDE HIP/GLUTES
• Lie flat on floor, bend knees, and keep feet on floor.
• Interlace fingers behind head, elbows on floor.
• Lift left leg over right leg.
• Use left leg to pull right leg toward floor (not to the floor) until stretch felt on side of hip. Hold 20 secs.
• Using resistance, push up on right leg and down on left leg. Hold 10 secs. Release and continue to let left leg pull right leg toward floor.
• You'll notice it will be looser now. Reverse.
12. PELVIC TILT
• Lie flat on floor, knees bent, arms outstretched.
• Breathe in and on exhale, press lower back into floor. Hold breath and back to floor 20 secs.
14. KNEES, QUADS, TIMBIALIS ANT.
• Stand, hold top of right foot with your left hand and gently pull your heel toward your buttocks.
• Hold 30 secs.
15. TOES AND LONGITUDINAL ARCH
• Sit with toes underneath you. Put hand in front for balance and control.
• If more of a stretch is desired, slowly lean backwards. Hold 20 secs.
• Sit flat on floor, legs straight and point toes. Turn ankles to the right 4 times and reverse to the left 4 times.
16. HAMSTRINGS, SOLEUS, GASTROCS
• Sit on floor, legs straight.
• Bend right leg and touch sole of right foot on inside of left thigh.
• Slowly bend from hips and try to grasp toes of left leg. Keep back straight.
• Hold 25 secs.
17. INSIDE THIGH, GROIN
• Soles of feet together and hold on to toes, elbows on inside thighs.
• Pull yourself forward from hips until good stretch is felt.
• Hold 20 secs.
• Sit with right leg straight.
• Bend left leg over right leg and rest foot on outside of right knee.
• Bend elbow and rest on outside of upper thigh.
• With left hand resting behind you, slowly turn your head to look over left shoulder and at same time rotate upper body toward your left hand and arm.
• Hold 25 secs.
19. ELONGATION STRETCH
• Lie flat on floor. Extend your arms overhead and straighten your legs. Now reach as far as is comfortable in opposite direction with your arms and legs. Stretch 10 secs and relax.
• Point toes and extend fingers. Pretend you are trying to reach opposite ends of the room.